Total Time: 45 minutes
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
An easy-to-make vegan curried soup with chickpeas and coconut.
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder - Kosher - ORGANIC - (1.90 oz. Bottle)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Granules - Kosher - ORGANIC - (2.68 oz. Bottle)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt (Table-Grind) - Kosher - (4.23 oz. Bottle)
- Chili Peppers, Red (Crushed) - Kosher - (1.20 oz. Bottle)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, minced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked millet
- 1 cup medium green pepper, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Cilantro, for serving
- Toasted Coconut Flakes, for serving
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil followed by the minced onion and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft; 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, millet, curry powder, garlic, and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Millet should be mostly tender.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and coconut milk.
- Bring soup to a simmer and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt as needed.
- If the soup is too thick, add ½ cup or more vegetable broth as needed to reach a soup consistency.
Divide the soup into four bowls and serve with a sprinkle of cilantro, toasted coconut flakes, and red pepper flakes if desired.
If you have leftovers, you may need to add more broth as you reheat the next day. Also, the saltiness of the broth will depend on the type of vegetable broth you use.