Total Time: 30 minutes
Hands-on Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
The first soups were thick stews (sop) that were eaten soaked up with bread. Use a French or Italian bread, or a seasoned rustic bread for this recipe, and experiment with different grated cheeses.
- Combine bread cubes and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, basil and oregano.
- Sauté until lightly browned.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan.
- Sauté onion slices until lightly browned.
- Combine chicken-flavored broth powder and water in a bowl, then add to onions.
- Warm over medium heat, stirring, until powder is dissolved and soup is hot.
- Add the bread cubes and gently heat for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.